Green cleaning services can help safely eliminate many of the dangerous germs and bacteria that plague day spas.
Green Cleaning Services for Day Spas
The health benefits of day spas have been well established through the years and verified through multiple, in-depth studies.
To reap the full reward, physical contact and hot water emersion techniques are commonly used.
While advantageous, these practices do not come without a certain level of risk to the personal health of the day spas employees and customers, due to a high potential for infectious disease transfer, including:
- Pseudomonas (Hot Tub Rash).
- Legionella, and;
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV).
As well as bacteria routinely transferred by surface to human, or human to human contact, such as:
- E. coli.
- Staph, and;
Conventional methods employed to reduce bacteria and infectious disease come with their own health concerns, including the surface transfer of toxic chemicals that have been linked to instances of cancer and death, and the introduction of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air, which has a significantly negative impact on respiratory health and wellbeing.
Fortunately, green cleaning practices and chemicals have proven to be a safe, cost-effective alternative that aligns with consumer demands for sustainable business practices.
The Dangers of a Healthy Life Style
There are three ways bacteria and germs are commonly spread in day spas.
- Contact with a contaminated surface, such as a massage bed.
- Common-use pools, spa's, sauna's, baths, showers, and whirlpools, and;
- Contact with anyone who didn't do an outstanding job of washing their hands, especially after using the restroom.
Professional massage therapists are already aware of the need to disinfect their tables before and after use, as well as between customers.
However, many are unaware of the dangers of toxic, commercial cleaning products and the health implications long-term use can present for them and their customers.
While the chemicals used to create bleach and chlorine are natural, the manufacturing process dramatically alters them into highly corrosive compounds.
Bleach is one of the most corrosive and deadly chemicals and still it can be found at every supermarket and drugstore in the nation, and under countless kitchen sinks.
With such broad household use, it's important to remember the risk it poses to children (especially because small amounts will affect them more than adults) or anyone unaware of its effects.
The therapeutic application of hot water comes with an ongoing challenge--the temperature of the water causes chlorine, which is not always 100% effective at killing all water-borne bacteria, to evaporate faster, resulting in the need for more frequent monitoring and reapplication.
Chlorine does a good job of killing most germs, but it does not sterilize the water.
A few germs can survive normal pool, hot tub, and spa levels of chlorine for several hours to days.
Chlorine must be maintained at proper levels to kill most germs.
The high water temperature of hot tubs and spas may cause chlorine to evaporate faster.
As a result, chlorine levels in hot tubs and spas need to be checked more regularly than in swimming pools.
Further, long-term exposure to chlorine has been linked to respiratory issues, asthma, dermatitis, and tooth enamel erosion.
For More Information:
Green Cleaning Tips
Keeping with the theme of a holistic approach to health common in day spas, employ the following tips and advice to cost-effectively improve the service your business provides your customers:
- Maintain pristine restroom conditions, especially the floor.
- Enforce a no-barefoot policy on hard floors, especially in everyday use showers, to avoid the spread of HPV.
- Require all employees to wash their hands after using the restroom and before eating.
- Use test strips to check hot tub water for free chlorine (2–4 parts per million [ppm]) or bromine (4–6 ppm) and pH (7.2–7.8) levels.
- Eliminate the use of bleach as a disinfectant in favor of safer, Green Seal certified products, to improve indoor air quality, as well as customer and employee safety.
- Keep Green Seal certified sanitizing wipes at conveniently accessible locations and allow customer and employee use.
- Maintain public health and safety policies in a prominent area.
- Consider a salt system, chlorine alternative solution for your pool and spa water.
References & Resources
- New HPV Warnings: You Can Get It at the Gym
- "Hot Tub Rash" (Pseudomonas Dermatitis / Folliculitis)
- Facts About Legionella and Hot Tubs/Spas
- Spas: The Risks and Benefits
- Facts about Chlorine
Day Spas are a place for individuals to release the unhealthy stress and buildup of toxic chemicals that bombard our bodies on a daily basis; the last place you want to acquire an illness or come into contact with more toxic chemicals, commonly used in commercial cleaning products.
Green Seal certified green cleaning products have been tested and verified as safe to humans, animals, and the environment and will provide an equivalent to a superior level of cleanliness and sanitation, compared to their hazardous counterparts.
If you would like to learn more about the advantages of green cleaning services for your day spa, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, or Santa Clarita CA, call (661) 437-3253
In Fresno CA, call (559) 206-1059