Green janitorial services are necessary for your institutions Green Seal Green School certification and have been shown in numerous studies to improve student academic performance significantly.
Green Janitorial Services for Green Seal Green Schools
Green Seals’s Green School program is designed to help all institutions, regardless of size or budget, make small but fundamental changes to their daily operations that have been proven to increase student academic performance and the health of pupils and faculty, while reducing the environmental impact on the local community, as well as operational costs.
The program covers social, economic, and ecological concerns that affect everyone, such as;
- Indoor Air Quality.
- Purchasing Guidelines.
- Janitorial Services.
- Food Purchasing, Preparation, & Waste Management.
The Green School concept of sustainability focuses on:
- Waste Reduction – Waste reduction can be achieved via smarter purchasing decisions (bulk instead of one-and-off packaging), separating organic waste for mulching, and implementing inexpensive, cloud-based technology solutions to reduce the carbon footprint created by in-house computer equipment–the ultimate goal being the establishment of a paperless office.
- Recycling – Recycling should be easy, which is why Green Seal’s program focuses on training and simplicity. The concept is straight-forward; place color-coded recycling bins next to, or as a replacement for standard trash cans, then train students and staff on the color scheme, identifying which type of recyclable material goes in which container.
- Paper Management – Keeping in mind the true goal of paper management is to evolve towards a paperless office; preliminary steps can be taken that centrally manage resource acquisition and restocking, such as a ‘teacher store’, where resources are checked out, and unused portions are returned for use before additional product purchases are made.
- Cleaning Services Tips for Office Recycling Programs
- Janitorial Services and Waste Reduction Strategies
Indoor Air Quality
We have, in the past, discussed in some detail the benefits of fresh, clean air in the classroom, controlled at a comfortable temperature, and the measurable improvements in student performance, as well as the overall health of everyone in the classroom.
According to Green Seal’s statistics, improved indoor air quality, achieved through the purchase and use of green cleaning products and processes, has resulted in:
- The reduction of airborne dust particles by 52%.
- A 59% decrease in VOCs.
- A 50% reduction in measurable bacteria levels.
- 24% fewer reported illnesses.
- 34% fewer doctors visits, and;
- A 46% reduction in student absenteeism.
For More Information:
Establishing and following through with purchasing guidelines that align with your school’s Green School goals is the first, and most important actionable step your district can take.
When establishing guidelines, focus on:
- Making purchases from Green Seal, or USGBC LEED certified businesses to support and propagate the idea that a healthier world is better and more profitable for all of us.
- Prioritize the purchase of ‘made from recycled material.’
- Switch to green certified cleaning and bathroom products.
- Change out soap dispensers for new ‘sealed package’ dispensers to conform to the FDA’s ruling on chemicals contained in liquid antibacterial soap, while avoiding the potential for a significant infectious bacteria outbreak due to concerns identified in ‘bulk-fill’ dispenser use.
- Switch to HEPA based filtration products for HVAC systems and vacuums, and;
- Replace cotton or cloth towels and mops with Microfiber.
Outsourcing your districts green janitorial services needs to a certified vendor is a proven way to fast track implementation at a significantly lower cost than attempting to manage the entire operation, in-house.
Doing so will reduce the time and cost associated with:
- Product and vendor research and acquisition.
- Tool and material training and acquisition.
- Product safety training.
- Large-scale specialty services, such as carpet cleaning, floor scrubbing, and polishing, as well as outdoor window washing, parking lot/structure maintenance, facilities maintenance, and walkway services.
Numerous case studies have proven the cost-effectiveness of outsourcing your district’s custodial needs to a certified green janitorial services vendor:
- The Riverside Military Academy in Gainesville, Georgia replaced 20 different cleaning products with a certified Green Seal product, resulting in a savings of $280,000 per year.
- The Palm Beach County District in Florida switched all 180 of its schools to green cleaning in 2008, resulting in a projected savings of $360,000 per year.
- In Pennsylvania, the Norther Tioga County School District saved nearly $20,000 in one year by eliminating aerosol and toxic cleaning product use.
For More Information:
Food Purchasing, Preparation, & Waste Management
Green food services are the final component necessary for a healthy school that has truly dedicated itself to the Green School Partnership, and the success of its students.
- Food must be purchased from vendors participating in sustainable farming and ranching practices.
- Additional resources, such as packaging and cooking supplies, should be non-toxic and biodegradable.
- Organic waste should be repurposed towards mulching or district livestock pens for feeding.
- Cooking equipment and procedures will also need to be analyzed to determine the potential for resource use reduction.
References & Resources
There are three reasons your school district should switch to green cleaning, and adopt the policies of the Green School Partnership:
- Students perform better, which follows them the rest of their lives.
- Everyone, including faculty, are safer and healthier, and;
- Your district could potentially save hundreds of thousands of dollars per year; funds which could be reallocated towards higher-quality education and tools.
If you would like to learn more about the advantages of green janitorial services for your school or business, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, or Santa Clarita CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790