Green cleaning services tips to start your business or school’s New Year off right with a commitment towards socially responsible waste management and recycling programs.
Cleaning Services Tips for New Years Office Recycling Resolutions
With the New Year just around the corner, and Zero Waste Initiatives trending as the socially responsible decision for businesses and schools, it’s time to commit yourself and your organization to a healthier, more sustainable world.
According to Recycle Across America;
Without exception, recycling is the top action society can do to simultaneously improve: the environment, the economy, sustainable manufacturing and to prevent waste from going into oceans.
The keys to the success of an office recycling program are simplicity and engagement, and there are several easy ways to start today without any significant financial investment.
Americans currently discard about 2.7 million tons of aluminum each year.
Of that, about 50 percent is recycled.
Apart from the economic impact, the environmental savings of recycling metal are enormous
The first step is to look around your office and identify areas of waste.
- Are you throwing away commonly recyclable materials in the garbage?
- Is your office unnecessarily printing documents that could be emailed or stored on a public or private website or file hosting service?
- Does your organization provide workers with options for disposing of organic and non-organic waste for mulching?
Make a Plan
After identifying areas of unnecessary waste in your office, it’s time to come up with a plan to deal with it.
- Sign your organization up for a recycling program.
- Implement a print-as-the-last-option policies and monitor print usage to ensure everyone is complying with the policy.
- Depending on the nature of your office building or school, look into signing up for an organic compost program, or how to start one yourself.
When creating a plan, remember to focus on the 3R’s; Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
The most important part of the process is to just start somewhere; comfortable with the knowledge that any effort contributes to a better world, as well as helping to build a stronger economy.
According to SOCRRA;
Recycling in the U.S. is a $236 billion a year industry. More than 56,000 recycling and reuse enterprises employ 1.1 million workers nationwide.
- Place recycle bins throughout your office that allows staff to separate their garbage based on type.
- Establish a handling procedure for organic waste to ensure it is removed to a designated location before it becomes a health hazard.
- Sign your team up for a gamification rewards program, like Recyclebank or GreenBean Recycle.
Partner for Success
A common method for ensuring success in any endeavor is to partner and network with like-minded individuals and organizations.
- Contact a certified green cleaning vendor to help you fill in the gaps with any plans, as well as introduce you to local agencies that participate in similar programs.
- Reach out to local schools to identify which ones are participating in mulching and Green School Initiatives to see if they can pick up, or help manage, your organic waste.
- Contact your local City, County, or State department responsible for recycling programs to see what benefits, opportunities, grants, or incentives are available.
References & Resources
Recycling is good for business, our personal health, the economy, and the environment.
Starting out is easy, inexpensive, and financial assistance and rewards are readily available for participation from multiple commercial and municipal agencies.
Partnering with an experienced local vendor that can facilitate purchasing, inventory management, and waste removal is critical for early success.
The true test will be maintaining long-term engagement, and we cannot recommend the gamification route enough as a means to address that challenge.
If you would like to learn more about setting up a recycling program for your office or school, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790