Green cleaning services are the ideal complement for 21st-century eco-schools designed for health, sustainability, and the academic performance of their students.
Green Cleaning Services for 21-Century Eco-Schools
The recent addition of Edison High Schools eco-friendly Academic Building has set the standard for sustainable building design and construction for schools throughout the San Joaquin Valley.
The building’s design focused on the use of a combination of natural lighting and solar power to manage its environmental impact while providing an improved learning environment for students.
However, the building is still an enclosed environment and, to maintain a low level of Volatile Organic Compounds that have been shown to limit cognitive function, green cleaning services must be employed to ensure the long-term viability and purpose of the project.
For More Information:
Eco-Schools Improve Engagement and Academic Achievement
Eco-school programs are defined as;
[sic]…an ideal way for schools to embark on a meaningful path towards improving the environment in both the school and the local community while at the same time having a life-long positive impact on the lives of young people, their families, school staff and local authorities.
The fundamental principles behind the concept are two-fold:
- Students who are more actively engaged in their school will perform better, and;
- Student performance improves measurably when provided with a clean and healthy environment to learn and study in.
According to the National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities;
School facilities affect learning.
Spatial configurations,noise, heat, cold, light, and air quality obviously bear on students’ and teachers’ ability to perform.
The publication goes on to conclude;
[sic]…we already know what is needed: clean air, good light, and a quiet, comfortable, and safe learning environment.
This can be and generally has been achieved within the limits of existing knowledge, technology, and materials. It simply requires adequate funding and competent design, construction, and maintenance.
Why Green Cleaning Services are Necessary
It is not necessary for schools to invest millions of dollars to achieve the same types of goals Edison High School is aiming for.
However, due to the impact indoor air quality has on cognitive function, green cleaning services are necessary to adhere to the core concepts driving the eco-school movement.
Commercial sanitizers and cleaning products, due to building design dating back to the energy crisis’ of the 1970’s, are not the sole culprit behind the buildup of dangerous Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs); the lack of air flow derived from a poorly conceived plan to reduce energy consumption must share the blame.
From an economical standpoint, it is more cost-effective to reduce or remove the source of pollution and contamination within a structure than it is to completely remodel the building to facilitate a modern understanding of recommended indoor air flow.
To accomplish this, the following steps are recommended:
- Review the current cleaning products used to sanitize your facilities, paying special attention to the active chemicals.
- Research each active compound to determine the likely negative impact it has on indoor air quality, health, and cognitive function.
- Ascertain how often the chemicals are used, in what manner, and how they are disposed of (it’s not really an eco-school if you’re dumping toxic chemicals into the drain with waste water).
- Contact a certified green cleaning specialist to assist your school with reviewing current policies, practices, and chemical use and request an audit detailing recommended actions to replace toxic products with eco-friendly alternatives, as well as assist your organization with aligning your actions with your stated goals.
- Involve the students and faculty, as well as the rest of the community, to encourage ongoing active engagement–the single most significant key to success.
- Remember to implement a school-wide recycling program to further compliment your schools ecological and sustainable commitments.
- Cleaning Services – Improving Indoor Air Quality
- Cleaning Services Tips for Office Recycling Programs
- Janitorial Services and Waste Reduction Strategies
References & Resources
Eco-schools are more than just a contemporary trend; they are the next wave of modern design and socially responsible business practices that are necessary to construct a better world, and a better tomorrow for ourselves and our children.
No eco-friendly plan can be complete without the inclusion of a green and sustainable janitorial services program in place that centralizes purchasing and chemical management, as well as fully participates in the program’s directives.
If you would like to learn more about the advantages of green cleaning services for your eco-school or business, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790