Check out our latest green cleaning services tips and advice on how to safely survive the common germs and bacteria present in public locker rooms at work and the gym.
Cleaning Services Tips & Advice to Stay Healthy in Public Locker Rooms
Germs and bacteria are everywhere, and the lockers in schools, businesses, and gyms are certainly no exception.
Deadly infectious disease, such as MRSA and staph run rampant throughout the facility, as well as on and inside of the locker.
Unfortunately, many organizations are ill-equipped to address the problem; often resorting to cost cutting measures that do more harm than good.
Green cleaning services are a safe and cost-effective method to disinfect the various high-touch surfaces students, workers, and visitors come into contact with each day.
Make sure your organization’s facilities align with modern healthy best-practices and follow these tips to stay safe and healthy.
MRSA, Staph, and C.diff in Your Locker
Germs and bacteria, such as MRSA, staph, and c.diff are everywhere in locker rooms, from the floor to the inside of the lockers, which rarely see the business end of a disinfectant wipe.
This is due to the high level of moisture mixed with the bacteria present on our clothes and bodies, making locker rooms veritable petri dishes for the infectious microbial matter.
Locker room floors are notably disgusting, with germs and bacteria being tracked in from the outside on visitors shoes.
According to Bottom Line, Inc.;
[sic]…when you consider that people coming in from the outdoors wear their street shoes right into the locker room, and the locker room leads to the shower…well, you can assume that outdoor contaminants are making their way onto the public shower floor, too.
Those contaminants might include dog feces…human sputum…pesticides…E. coli bacteria…coliform bacteria…ringworm…we could go on.
To make matters worse, gym towels may not be safe, either.
According to Resveralife;
Some gym employees have a habit of using the same containers for dirty and clean towels which aids in the spread of E. coli and MRSA.
Green Cleaning Tips & Survival Methods
Depending on the nature of your relationship with the establishment for which you are using locker room facilities, it is prudent to enquire into the custodial practices and chemicals employed in the process.
Inadequate cleaning services are just as bad as using too much of the wrong product, specifically toxic sanitizers and disinfectants, which have been shown, in repeated studies, to cause more harm than they do good.
- Antimicrobial gym bag.
- 2-3 large microfiber towels.
- 1 bar of regular soap stored in an antimicrobial container.
- Water-proof, antimicrobial flip flops/shower shoes.
- 1 large plastic bag to store soiled clothing and towels.
- 1 bottle of liquid hand sanitizer.
- 1 spray bottle of Green Seal certified disinfectant.
- Bring your own towels and forego the use of the gym, or other in-house towels, to avoid the spread of e.coli, MRSA, and other germs.
- Use one towel to wipe off equipment with the green disinfectant before and after use.
- Use the second towel to stay dry during workouts.
- Use the third towel to dry off after your shower.
- Use the liquid hand sanitizer before and after handling free weights.
- Wash with a bar of regular, non-antibacterial soap.
- Always wear shoes in the locker room, especially in the shower, and make sure to scrub your feet, and in between your toes.
- Place all of your soiled clothing in the large plastic bag, including the towels.
- Remove your soiled laundry, and wash immediately upon returning home.
- Remember to wash your bag, or wipe it down, inside and out, with a green disinfectant every other use.
- Remember to clean the street shoes that you wore into the locker room on a regular basis to avoid spreading germs.
References & Resources
- Lurking in the Locker Room
- What kind of bacteria are on school lockers?
- The Challenge with Pool Locker Room Summer Cleanliness
- The Dangers of Gyms and Locker Rooms
- The Killer in the Locker Room
- 5 Ways to Steer Clear of Germs in Gym Locker Rooms
- MRSA . . . Coming soon to a locker room near you
The convenience lockers provide are far outweighed by the germs and bacteria that may be hiding in and around them.
Often, the facilities are little better; typically coated from floor to ceiling in staph, MRSA, and worse.
Outsourced green cleaning services are a cost-effective alternative to conventional cleaning practices, that will safely remove germs and bacteria while protecting the health and safety of those using or occupying the facility.
If you would like to learn more about the advantages of green cleaning services to address the germs and bacteria in your school, business, or gym locker rooms, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, Valencia CA, or Santa Clarita CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790