Integrating janitorial services with pest control and management services will help reduce the instance of pathogens spread in schools, businesses, and medical facilities.
Janitorial Services Prevent the Spread of Pathogens Through Fly Control
Flies–like you needed another reason to hate them.
Flies–simultaneously disgusting and annoying–appear to be the purveyor of a number of germs and bacteria that have, apparently, been ‘overlooked’ by public health officials for years.
According to a recent article published by Infection Control Today;
In a study of the microbiomes of 116 houseflies and blowflies from three different continents, researchers found, in some cases, these flies carried hundreds of different species of bacteria, many of which are harmful to humans.
Because flies often live close to humans, scientists have long suspected they played a role in carrying and spreading diseases.
What Kind of Diseases do Flies Carry?
According to the research conducted and published by Penn State University, College of Agricultural Sciences, flies were found to transmit “at least 65 diseases to humans,” most commonly through contact with contaminated food and water, including;
- Typhoid Fever – A bacteria that spreads through contaminated food and water, causing high fever, skin rashes, and intestinal issues, as well as death if left untreated.
- Dysentery – Inflammation of the bowels leading to severe intestinal issues, as well as death, which can be caused by the ingestion of bacteria, viruses, or parasites.
- Cholera – Another bacteria that causes intestinal issues, as well as dehydration, which spread through the ingestion of contaminated food and water, though it is rarely encountered in industrialized countries.
- Poliomyelitis – AKA, Polio–a paralyzing virus that can lead to death if left untreated, which is also spread through contaminated food and water.
- Yaws – A chronic bacterial infection that affects the skin, bones, and cartilage, spread through direct contact with an infected person and, even with treatment, can go on for years, causing disfigurement and disability.
- Anthrax – A severe, potentially fatal bacterial spore spread by inhalation or direct contact.
- Tularemia – An infectious bacteria, commonly referred to as Deer or Rabit fever, that attacks the skin, eyes, lymph nodes, and lungs.
- Leprosy – A chronic, infectious bacteria that causes severe skin lesions and nerve damage, often attacking the eyes and nose, and typically is spread through the air via respiratory droplets from coughing or sneezing, and;
- Tuberculosis – An infectious bacteria which causes severe respiratory issues, as well as high fevers and night sweats, that is spread through the inhalation or ingestion of respiratory droplets from coughing or sneezing.
How do Flies Spread Germs?
Flies carry diseases dangerous to humans in two ways:
- On their body and wings, and;
- In their gut.
The germs resident on the body and wings typically only last a few hours and are spread by direct contact.
Conversely, the germs living in their intestines can survive quite a bit longer and are spread by the fly vomiting on food, manure, and other waste before eating.
Green Cleaning Tips for Non-Toxic Fly Control
Flies cannot survive and multiply where their food source is not readily available, and are easily attracted to numerous non-toxic traps. Therefore, to combat the presence of flies and eliminate the spread of the deadly infectious bacteria present on or in them;
- Remove and control access to their food supply, including garbage cans, especially those containing manure, lawn clippings, and organic waste.
- Regularly clean and disinfect surfaces where flies are routinely present, where food is consumed, or where water is stored, using certified green cleaning products and EPA certified Category IV disinfectants.
- Place traps, such as tape or pheromone traps, where flies tend to accumulate to control their growth and spread. Make sure to replace the traps often.
- Hire a professional custodial provider to consult on garbage bin placement and securement, assist with safe product purchasing, and to handle the routine cleaning schedule necessary to prevent the spread of infectious disease.
References & Resources
- Fly Removal Is Essential to Germ Control
- Flies Are Much More Disgusting And Disease-Ridden Than We Suspected
- House flies carry more bacteria than you might think
Flies are annoying, disgusting, and carry infectious disease, both on their body and in their intestines.
Chemical pesticides are dangerous, and the chemicals they are comprised of are associated with numerous health issues.
Implementing a green pest management and control solution, combined with safer-for-use green cleaning products and practices, is a verified method for reducing the presence of flies and the proliferation of the deadly bacteria they carry.
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 437-3253
In Fresno CA, call (559) 206-1059
In Valencia CA, or Santa Clarita CA, call (661) 437-3253