Check out our latest office cleaning tips for the month of May 2016!
Early Summer Office Cleaning Tips
With the Spring rains coming to an end, San Joaquin Valley residents have a long Summer of dust, pollen, and air pollution to contend with.
Combined with the Valley heat waves and not enough rain and snow to get us out of the drought completely, businesses will need to make smart decisions to maintain the health of their company and their employees.
Go Green to Save Water
One of the major business trends swings over the last 2 years has been water conservation.
Businesses of all sizes and makeups have been forced to evaluate how their office, staff, and customers use water and where waste can be eliminated.
Swapping out traditional cleaning rags and mops for microfiber will use less water and eliminate the introduction of contaminants into the current supply.
Advanced green dirt extractors and floor scrubbers use significantly less water and can accomplish an equivalent task in a fraction of the time, translating into reduced energy consumption and costs.
Clean your Carpets
Carpets trap a significant amount of indoor air pollution.
Carpets are also home to an estimated 20% of the dust mite population; an allergy suffered by 15% of the population.
To ensure the dust and other pollutants do not return to the indoor air supply, clean them regularly with advanced dirt extractors that use green cleaning chemicals.
This method has been shown to remove more dirt, dust mites, and bacteria from the carpet than traditional methods, while eliminating the contribution to indoor air pollution via chemical-based detergents.
Switch to HEPA Filters
Published EPA studies have found that HEPA filters are 99.97% to 99.999% efficient at filtering out particulate matter in the air for particles up to 0.3 micrometers and smaller.
HEPA filtration is ideal for updating your old HVAC systems but in many cases; their use is required by the EPA, such as construction cleanup where lead-based paint particles or asbestos must be removed from the inside of an office.
With the inevitable dust, pesticides, fertilizer, and pollen being knocked into the air by local industry, switching your vacuum and HVAC filters to HEPA solutions can have a significant impact on allergy induced paid sick leave and reduce the risk of summertime sick building syndrome.
Dust accumulated on uncleaned windows throughout the winter can be disturbed and knocked into the air by increased summer activities.
Clean the windows regularly with a certified green cleaning product and microfiber cloth to remove bacteria and dust buildup.
If possible, especially early in the morning when it is cool, open doors and windows to allow fresh air to blow through.
This will improve the indoor air quality, reduce indoor pollution, and reduce humidity, which can contribute to VOC production.
- Department of Design and Environmental Analysis, College of Human Ecology, Cornell University – Carpet and Indoor Air Quality.
- National Center for Healthy Housing – HEPA Vacuums and HEPA Exhaust Control.
- US Environmental Protection Agency – Residential Air Cleaners (Second Edition): A Summary of Available Information.
- US Environmental Protection Agency – Improving Air Quality
- Healthy Child Healthy World – Open a Window to Improve Indoor Air Quality.
Water restrictions, increasing air pollution, struggling local economies, and rising energy costs have all contributed to a paradigm shift in how San Joaquin Valley businesses view cost, waste, and efficiency.
Easy ways you can increase the efficiency of resource use and employee wellbeing while reducing cost and environmental impact are:
- Go green with Microfiber cloths and mops.
- Clean your carpets with advanced dirt extractors to eliminate dust and bacteria before it is released into the air.
- Implement HEPA filtration systems to capture dust, bacteria, and unattached virus particulate matter in the air.
- Clean your office windows, and open them and externally facing doors during morning hours to reduce indoor humidity and improve air quality.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of professional cleaning services for your business, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790