Green certified professional janitorial services are the perfect solution to combat the rising challenge of measles outbreaks in California.
Janitorial Services and Cleaning for Measles Outbreaks and Infections
As recently as 2015, California experienced a widespread and highly publicized measle outbreak, originating from a single guest at a well-known amusement park.
The effects of that outbreak, which spread to several states, as well as Mexico, are still being felt to this day, ultimately resulting in California passing a controversial law mandating childhood vaccinations.
This was likely due to the incredible burden that was placed on State finances and hospital resources.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), measle outbreaks between 2011 and 2016 cost the State, businesses, and individuals tens of millions of dollars in remediation services, healthcare costs, and lost employment hours.
Estimated public health costs ranged from $2.7-$5.3 million.
Estimated total contacts ranged from 8,936-17,450.
Estimated total public health hours ranged from 42,635-83,133 – equivalent to full time work
for 20-39 staff for a year.
Each public health department incurred costs of $11,933-$29,833/case,..[which;]
Does not include costs to hospitals, clinics, schools, etc.
Measles, though technically considered eliminated in the U.S., still carries an extreme risk to the infected person(s).
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- 1 in 4 cases of measle infections results in hospitalization.
- 1 in every thousand results in encephalitis, and;
- 1 to 2 cases out of every thousand resulted in death.
Basic Facts About Measles
While vaccination is demonstrably the best solution to prevent measle outbreaks, the process does not account for several variables, including widespread objections to vaccinations, or a confirmed infected individual.
A person with a measles infection is contagious from four days prior to, and up to four days after a rash appears.
Measles can be transferred in several ways:
- Through the air, either through coughing or sneezing and failing to cover your mouth or nose properly.
- Through direct contact with an infected person.
- Through direct contact with a contaminated surface when proper hand-hygiene is not observed.
Measles can remain in the air or on surfaces for up to two hours after an infected person leaves the room or comes into contact with anything.
On average, 90% of those without immunity who come into contact with a contagious person will also become infected, making preventative cleaning measures that much more important, especially where younger children are present, or on high contact surfaces.
For More Information:
Green Cleaning Tips
Since measles can spread quickly through the air, surface cleaning is, at best, a preventative measure.
- The best approach is to encourage regular proper hand-hygiene, especially around any type of dining or health care establishment, specifically where children are commonly present.
- Install UV lighting in bathrooms to assist with killing the virus while it’s airborne, or on hard surfaces.
- Clean regularly with a certified green disinfectant, ensuring everyone involved is wearing the proper safety and protective gear.
- If an infection is confirmed, ensure only immunized personnel are allowed to clean the space, and that all equipment is properly disposed of after disinfection.
- Use a color-coded microfiber cloth, combined with the two-bucket cleaning method to avoid cross-contamination between rooms and hard surfaces.
- Limit the exposure of an infected person to others, especially in a hospital or pediatric center where weak or compromised immune systems make the potential for dangerous infection more likely.
- Use a certified green disinfectant wipe from Green Seal to sanitize children’s toys, and other high-contact surfaces, such as doorknobs and cellphones or tablets.
References & Resources
- Measles outbreak grows in L.A.’s Orthodox Jewish community despite California’s strict new vaccination law
- How California got more children vaccinated after the Disneyland measles outbreak
- Measles Cases and Outbreaks
- Transmission of Measles
Measles, due to widespread international travel, is still a problem, even in the U.S., where it is technically considered eliminated.
Measle outbreaks are a huge financial burden for countries prepared to deal with the fallout.
For emerging nations where malnourishment, lack of access to immunizations, and other issues are commonplace, measles outbreaks take a devastating toll on human life, especially children under the age of five.
Unfortunately, those statistics also coincide with poor hand-hygiene practices.
Automated, proactive disinfection methods, combined with certified green disinfecting products and color-coded microfiber is the best way to combat the presence, growth, and potential outbreak of measles.
If you would like to learn more about the advantages of certified green janitorial services to safeguard against measles and other viral outbreaks, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 437-3253
In Fresno CA, call (559) 206-1059is
In Valencia CA, or Santa Clarita CA, call (661) 437-3253