Green cleaning services and products are a safe and natural way to remove and prevent mold in your home, school, or office.
Green Cleaning Services Tips for Mold Removal and Prevention
Mold spores permeate the environment around us but pose little hazard to non-sensitive groups until they encounter the necessary levels of moisture, and begin to grow.
Once mold growth takes hold, it can cause a wide variety of issues, including foul odors, structural damage to buildings, as well as several documented and hypothesized health problems.
According to National Capital Poison Center;
[sic]…actively-growing mold damages the material it lives on, thereby impairing structural integrity.
In addition, mold is associated with some untoward health effects in humans, including allergies and infections.
Green cleaning vendors provide a safe and natural way to remove and prevent mold growth without the danger of hazardous cleaning chemicals that have been proven to cause or contribute to long and short-term negative health problems.
Mold and Associated Health Issues
Over the last 15 years, focused studies have linked the presence of mold to health issues that negatively impact the long-term quality of life, as well as productivity in children in schools, and adults in the workplace.
According to research published by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Preventions (CDC);
In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.
The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.
Mold Detection, Prevention & Removal
If you suspect you may have a mold problem, but cannot identify any visible signs, home detection kits are available from your local hardware store.
However, it is highly recommended that you seek out a professional to test for mold, especially in business offices.
Inspectors typically test for spores in the air, attempt to identify areas of standing water or leaks, as well as identify physical signs of growth.
To prevent mold from taking hold and growing indoors:
- Implement HEPA filtration systems in central air HVAC systems, as well as standalone systems throughout the home, classroom, or office.
- Patch structural leaks immediately.
- Remove standing water immediately, and dry up or replace damaged wood, furniture, and flooring.
- For homes, you can attempt to clean up with consumer or DIY products, but for schools and businesses, it is vital you seek out the services of an experienced professional to avoid probable future health issues.
- Test the space periodically after cleaning to ensure mold levels have decreased to a safe level.
DIY Home Solutions for Mold Removal
Indoor mold spores are bad enough, mold growth is worse, but worst of all are the chemicals we have used in the past to remove mold, such as chlorine bleach and the associated respiratory and health hazards associated with them.
Additionally, evidence exists that household bleach is not capable of destroying mold growths, entirely, and may, not only allow its future return, but facilitate its future growth.
For More Information:
Fortunately, three common, safe household products, which are likely in your pantry as you read this, have been proven effective at mold removal in the home.
- Hydrogen Peroxide.
- White Vinegar, and;
- Baking Soda.
General Steps for Application
- Dissolve or dilute these products in a spray bottle with tap water.
- Thoroughly cover the affected area.
- Depending on the mixture, allow the solution the appropriate lay time before wiping up.
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe up after the laytime has expired.
- Repeat as necessary.
- Place a desktop or floor HEPA air filtration system near the damaged area.
- Make sure to have the air tested regularly to ensure the issues has been addressed.
For More Information:
References & Resources
- Kill mold naturally: 5 eco-friendly ideas
- Is There a Green Alternative to Bleach for Mold & Mildew?
- Remove Mold With Borax and Vinegar
- Mold Prevention and Removal
- 3 Ways to Kill Mold Naturally
- Mold – Basic Facts
Increased heavy rainfall throughout California and the Central Valley, combined with the numerous mold spores common to the area, will likely lead to a significant rise in mold growth indoors as temperatures begin to rise in the Spring.
Mold growth has been directly linked to various upper respiratory issues, as well as the onset of asthma conditions, that have a proven negative impact on worker and student health and performance.
Bleach is only effective at removal on hard, non-porous surfaces, and its use on porous surfaces can, due to bleach’s water content, facilitate future growth.
All natural and commercial green cleaning products exist on the market that is vastly superior to dangerous chemical cleaners, without the additional side-effects.
Keep in mind that home remedies are fine for homes, but schools and businesses must contact a professional service team to detect and remove mold growth and remove or repair sources of leaks and standing water.
If you would like to learn more about the advantages of green cleaning services to remove or prevent mold for your school or business, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790