Professional cleaning services tips for dealing with dust mites in your home and office.
Dust Mites and Green Cleaning Services
Dust mites; what’s the big deal, right?
According to the EPA:
Indoor biologic and chemical agents figure prominently among environmental factors implicated in asthma morbidity, including allergens from cockroaches, rodents, [and] dust mites…[sic].
Going on further to state:
Children miss more than 14 million school days each year in part due to asthma exacerbated by unhealthy school environments.
Dust mites thrive in warm, humid environments, and peak in July and August.
Dust mites feed off of dead skin cells from humans and animals, and are commonly found in bedding, as well as carpets, chairs, and couches.
Dust Mites and Allergies
Dust mites are a common cause of allergic reactions and asthma, especially in children.
Contrary to popular belief, dust mites do not bite either humans or animals but, as mentioned, feed off of their dead skin cells shed throughout the day.
Humans allergies come from the dust mites shedded exoskeleton and feces, of which a significant amount is created in a short span of time.
The average life cycle for a male house dust mite is 10–19 days.
A mated female house dust mite can last up to 70 days, laying 60 to 100 eggs in the last 5 weeks of her life.
In a 10-week life span, a house dust mite will produce approximately 2,000 fecal particles and an even larger number of partially digested enzyme-covered dust particles.
-Wikipedia – House dust mite
Dealing with Dust Mites
Dust and dust mite allergies are typically diagnosed via a Skin Prick Test (SPT) or a Specific IgE Blood Test (sIgE).
Depending on the severity of the allergy, treatment can range from over the counter and prescription medication, to Subcutaneous Immunotherapy (SCIT), commonly referred to as an allergy shot.
This type of treatment can be expensive for adults, and challenging for young children.
For this reason, the ideal solution is to rid the home, school, and business of any trace of dust mites, as well as their waste.
Dust and dust mite symptoms typically manifest with common physical symptoms:
- Runny or stuffy nose.
- Postnasal drip.
- Red, itchy or teary eyes.
- Itchy nose, mouth or throat.
- Wheezing, coughing, tightness in the chest and shortness of breath, and;
- Asthma or asthma-related respiratory issues and attacks.
Green Cleaning Tips
Dust mite particles (feces and shedded exoskeletons) do not remain in the air long, attaching themselves to heavier particulate matter and falling into the carpet, bedding, curtains, or furniture.
Exposure most commonly occurs when dust is knocked up from an old mattress, pillow, couch, or chair.
While professional cleaning services are highly recommended to properly remove the infestation, the following do it yourself tips should help:
- Remove carpeting, or avoid wall to wall carpeting.
- Remove drapes and curtains and switch to blinds or allergy resistant window coverings.
- Use dust-proof covers on all mattresses.
- Avoid down comforters, mattresses and pillows.
- Use HEPA filtered vacuums on carpets, rugs, and furniture.
- Temperatures below 130 degrees Fahrenheit will not kill mites, so wash sheets, blankets, pillows, and pillow cases in cold water with a green detergent to avoid compounding allergic reactions.
- Open doors and windows, when and where possible, to reduce indoor humidity.
- Remove old furniture, where practical.
- American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology – Dust Allergy
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America – Dust Mite Allergy
- WebMD – Dust Allergies: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments of Allergies to Dust Mites
- Green American: Living Green: The Allergen-Free Bedroom
- American Lung Association – Dust Mites
The best way to deal with dust mites is to remove their food source by maintaining a regular, green home and office cleaning schedule.
Dust mites breed rapidly, once nested, and are difficult to remove fully without professional assistance.
The money invested in routine green cleaning now will save you and your business thousands of dollars annually in lost time, wages, and paid sick-leave.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of professional cleaning services for your business, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790