Cleaning services and professional green cleaning tips for getting rid of stubborn and problematic smells around your office.
Cleaning Services Tips for Removing Stubborn Office Odors
Thoroughly cleaning any enclosed space is a good start, but stubborn, foul smelling odors often remain in hard to reach or clean places.
Even experienced and well equipped professional cleaning services are rarely prepared to deal with stubborn smells coming from office refrigerators that have housed expired food, or poorly attended to garbage disposals that have food left rotting in them over the weekend.
Clear the Air
Allowing a regular stream of fresh air to flow through enclosed spaces is the first step in getting rid of bad smells, but that may not be so easy.
Depending on where your office windows are located (tranquil park with a stream, or a dumpster), there may be little fresh air to go around, and opening the window could aggravate the matter further.
Adding to the difficulty, highrise office building windows rarely open, so any fresh air will need to be pumped in through the HVAC system.
- Open a window, if possible, to allow fresh air to clear the room, lower the temperature, and reduce the humidity.
- If that is not feasible, implement HEPA filtered HVAC filters and air purifiers in kitchens, restrooms, and offices as needed.
- Keep garbage and other trash receptacles away from the building, especially windows and doors.
- Keep an eye out for animals in the area that may be defecating in less than desirable locations.
Kitchen odors often come from the inside of microwaves, refrigerators, trash cans and garbage disposals.
While your cleaning crew will typically dump your trash nightly, at the very least, scrubbing out the inside of a garbage can, refrigerator, garbage disposal or microwave is going to be as special service and cost an additional fee.
Surprisingly, there are plenty of natural products lying around your kitchen that you can use to absorb or completely remove stubborn smells.
What you’ll need is:
- Fresh coffee grounds or baking soda.
- White Vinegar.
- Try to freshen the air by leaving lemon, cut in half, somewhere out of the way of common foot traffic.
- For refrigerators, place an open box of baking soda or an open can of fresh coffee beans towards the back to absorb smells while remaining away from food.
- For garbage disposals, freeze some white vinegar in ice trays, empty them into the garbage disposal and run it until the ice is gone. Repeat as necessary. Alternatively, use fresh lemon or orange peels instead of vinegar.
- White vinegar also works well with smelly trash cans. Just add some to a spray bottle, spray down the inside and outside of the can, allow it to soak for about 5-10 minutes, then wipe down with a microfiber cloth.
- For microwaves that have food splattered and caked along the inside, mix two parts white vinegar and one part water in a dish. Place the dish in the microwave and turn on for a few minutes. Be cautious when removing the dish. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the inside and repeat as necessary.
- If your office breakroom has a dishwasher, chances are the inside is never cleaned. Two cups of white vinegar in an empty dishwasher on a full cycle should do the trick.
- Beware of old carpet and furniture. They absorb a large quantity of dust and different smells over the years, and you may be better served by removing and replacing them. If you would prefer to keep them, make certain to use green cleaning and extraction tools to avoid adding to the bad smell, or just pushing it around in the dirty water.
- Office pets can be great for morale, but horrible on the nose. Keep litter boxes, beds, and food away from heavily trafficked areas and make sure there is plenty of ventilation in those spaces. If it is a dog, make certain to adhere to all city ordinances regarding animal waste removal.
Environmental factors, along with mold and mildew from expired food, or uncleaned common use areas like microwaves can cause persistent, stubborn foul odors that can make it difficult for people to work, and unappealing for people to shop at.
Common, inexpensive household items can be used instead of harsh chemical cleaners, often with better results.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of professional cleaning services for your business, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790