Environmentally responsible cleaning services are an integral part of solving California’s water crisis, as well as an economical solution for modern businesses to adopt scientifically-backed, water-conscious practices in the wake of increasing public opinion and pressure to ‘go green’.
Green Cleaning Services Saves Water
As the reality sets in that the recent El Nino storms will not save California’s San Joaquin Valley farmers and businesses from a nearly decade-long drought, and the Pixley Groundwater Banking Project not scheduled to begin construction until (earliest estimate) 2017, hard choices must be made by organizations that wish to remain relevant and continue to contribute to the prosperous growth of their communities.
Additionally, a dedicated approach to green cleaning practices will save on energy consumption and costs, ideally leading to the reclamation of a displaced workforce due to drought conditions.
Do it for the Money
A properly managed relationship with your companies janitorial provider will go a long way towards reducing your organization’s environmental impact and financial consumption.
A well trained janitorial staff can be leveraged to be a businesses eyes; identifying areas of energy and water waste throughout the office complex.
Typical examples where, with a small effort, if practiced Valley-wide, janitorial teams could create an extraordinary impact on consumption and waste are:
- Turning off lights in unused office spaces.
- Unplugging unneeded equipment, unnecessarily drawing power, sometimes referred to as ‘vampire energy’.
- Identifying leaky faucets and pipes.
- Reporting on a broad range of HVAC function and usage issues.
- Making quality, business-focused recommendations for improved efficiency.
The University of Georgia’s Physical Plant Division
A green cleaning program study introduced at the University of Georgia produced the following results; from 2006 to 2009:
- Cleaning service workplace injuries were reduced from 39 to 17.
- Related worker hours were reduced from 4,474 to 386.
- The amount spent on chemical cleaning products were reduced from $1.5 million to $110,000 per year, resulting in an estimated;
- $850,000 savings for 2008 and 2009.
What are the Numbers?
The following is a list of measured benefits from recognized green business management and conservation organizations throughout California, emphasizing the financial profits to be made/retained/regained by local companies.
According to the US Green Building Council, building in the US account for:
- 38% of all CO2 emissions.
- 73% of electricity consumption, and;
- 13.6% of all potable water usage, or 15 trillion gallons per year.
Alternatively, LEED Gold certified buildings:
- Consume 25% less energy and 11 percent less water.
- Have 19% lower maintenance costs.
- Have a 27% higher occupant satisfaction, and;
- 34% lower greenhouse gas emissions.
Retrofitting Older Buildings
Retrofitting older buildings with newer, greener technology and practices provides business-focused results worthy of serious consideration.
- Decrease energy use by 10-11%.
- Save 11-12% of operating costs, and;
- Reduce water use by 15%.
For More Information:
Green Cleaning Equipment Benefits
Green cleaning equipment is scientifically designed to do more with less.
In 1999, The UC Davis Medical Center switched to microfiber mops resulting in a:
- 60% lifetime cost savings for mops.
- A 46% reduction in chemical cleaner purchases by volume.
- A 95% reduction in chemical costs associated with mopping tasks, and a;
- 20% labor savings per day, or 638 worker hours per year; roughly equivalent to $7,665 per employee, annually.
For More Information:
- Water Bank in San Joaquin Valley Nearing Approval
- South Valley Water Bank Authority – Pixley Groundwater Banking Project
- How drought has hit farmworkers hard in Fresno, Tulare counties
- ‘Green Janitor’ Education Program Empowers Janitors to Help Building Owners, Managers on Energy Savings, Water Conservation, Healthy Buildings
- Sustainable and Effective Cleaning Practices Lead to Cost Savings
Green cleaning services offer several advantages, vital to sustainable business in the San Joaquin Valley.
- Reduces water and energy consumption.
- Reduces worker hours and workers compensation costs due to work-related, repetitive injuries.
- Helps eliminate financial waste, as well as indoor air pollution and water contamination.
- Reduces the total cost of ownership of a business or office building.
- Increases employee and customer wellness and satisfaction.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of professional cleaning services for your business, contact us today for a free quote!
In Bakersfield CA, call (661) 395-3009
In Fresno CA, call (559) 473-1790